St Mary's Cheshunt
 
 

Brief history

1086 Mention of Church in Cheshunt in Doomsday Book.
1331 Record of meeting of Augustines.
1418-1448 Present building created by rector Nicholas Dixon. His tomb is beneath the present alter. Dedicated to St Mary instead of St John. Further re-orderings in 19th century and again in 1961. In the early 19th century there were galleries.
1625 Royal coat of arms is of Charles II who died at Theobalds in 1625.
1636-1760 Original six bells installed.
c1750 Clock installed.
1872-3 South Chapel opened.
1887 Wooden screen installed across nave.
1891 Organ rebuilt in present position, originally beneath tower, and then in choir stalls.
1902 Wooden redos behind alter installed.
1911 Bells recast, two more added.
1920 War Memorial installed - includes black and white tiles in sanctuary.
1945 V-2 landed at junction of Bury Green Road and Pengelly Close. Destroyed most of the 15th century windows on south side and damaged east window. Restored east window shows a Christmas tree and the children of the then Vicar (bottom right hand corner of left hand panel).
1961 Wooden screen across nave removed.
1971 Bishops College closes. Many fittings moved to South Chapel.
2008 Current incumbent, the Revd John Williams, installed at St Mary's Church.